Fuzzy Pickles
Welcome, We hope you enjoy your visit!

New here? Have a look around!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fuzzy Pickles
Welcome, We hope you enjoy your visit!

New here? Have a look around!
Fuzzy Pickles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Designation

2 posters

Go down

Designation Empty Designation

Post by CardboardLuigi Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

"The plot says that they're good/evil, therefore they're good/evil, even if their actions say otherwise."
Paraphrased versions of the tropes of Designated Hero and Designated Villain from TV Tropes. There's also Designated Evil, which is more or less "It's evil because I said so."
A discussion about discussing characters/actions that were supposedly good or bad, but really weren't, despite everything the writing claims it is.
CardboardLuigi
CardboardLuigi

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198174045806/

Back to top Go down

Designation Empty Re: Designation

Post by Guy Sun 24 Sep 2017, 4:45 pm

I think I get what you're saying. Sort of how like in Golden Sun you play as the good guys in the first installment and later the bad guys in the second game. But neither is good nor bad. Golden Sun has you play as Issac and Garret as they try to stop the villains from lighting all the lighthouses and causes the world to change for the worst.

Then in the next game you find out that the lighthouses actually need to be lit to save the world. The problem though is that the 'villains' go about their noble goal in very underhanded ways. Which is what lands them in villain territory.
Guy
Guy
Admin

https://fuzzypickles.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CardboardLuigi Sun 24 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

Although not an official game or story, an example of Designated Evil/Villain that springs to mind is this one EarthBound creepypasta I once read.
I don't recall the name, although I recall some of the plot.
The short version is that some dude breaks a friend's copy of EarthBound, and sends it to a local store to get repaired, and when said dude play tests it to make sure it works, a lot of things are changed. Namely, the Chosen Four weren't chosen, and, with the exception of Paula, they're all evil, and thus are thrown in a dungeon, with some sort of torture done to them, once again excluding Paula, who goes free.
Now Jeff Andonuts is given the usual character derailment that most video game creepypastas have, shooting the enemies in his way with an actual gun, including the bubble monkey, while showing no remorse. Ness and Poo, on the other hand, are stated to be evil, but they don't do anything that backs up that claim.
The worst that Ness does is ignores Buzz Buzz's modified prophesy that states he isn't the chosen one. He does literally nothing else that isn't out of the norm in EarthBound, so that just makes him a flawed individual, perhaps a little ignorant, who wants to stop Giygas' invasion, in spite of destiny saying otherwise. But despite this, he's taken out by a floating hand when Jeff meets up with Paula and Ness in Threed.
Actually, when Ness is shown in the dungeon as a skeleton, the game justifies it as him being silent. Because as we all know, there are absolutely
Designation Latest?cb=20150512214417&path-prefix=protagonist
no
Designation Latest?cb=20090726014102
heroes
Designation Crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-screen-04-us-03dec16?$MediaCarousel_Original$
that don't speak. *so naturally, because he did the deadly sin of not being the talkative one, they turned him into a pun making skeleton.
Poo doesn't even do anything remotely out of the norm, he just does his Mu training like he does in the game, and yet, he's punished as well. All I remember that happened to him was that he was taken out during the Mu training, I don't even know what torture he has to endure. (I know that Jeff is stuck with seagulls.)

On an unrelated note, because they took out Ness and Poo, this creates several plot holes, as Ness is needed to actually GET to the "Your Sanctuary" locations, as well as PSI Teleport, while Poo only has the latter. Although the protagonist of the story points this out, that doesn't make the problems go away.
CardboardLuigi
CardboardLuigi

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198174045806/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum